Module 4: Curation

Uses for Curation

I am really glad this is one of the modules as I can see myself using this a lot for the upcoming school year. It will make our in-class projects go so much faster if the information is already available for my class. My students are from 8 to 9 years of age and waste a lot of time looking for information on the internet when they really don’t know yet how to find relevant information for a project. I will provide collections for them to sift through and evaluate so they learn what is good and what is not good information for a project.

Another Way to use Curation

I can use curation to develop analyzing skills by showing different sides to a situation. I can put together some articles that show opposite sides of an issue. I would post some articles showing how clearing land for building is affecting the climate negatively, and also post articles showing how building and expansion is creating jobs for otherwise unemployed people. It is a great way to start debates and teaching students how to analyze information.

A third way to use curation is to share great resources or post articles to explore in the next division meeting. My team can look at the information and get a better understanding of the concept this way, prior to the meeting.

When Students are too young to make their own curation.

Students can use my page to look for information and make their own collection from information I have assembled for them.  Students can use google slides to create their replies or collections. [someone suggested this idea to me – thanks] Having the students pull information to make up a given collection or set will develop understanding of topics. A specific idea I can think of is to show some images and have students classify them into given categories to show they understand. This could be done for classifying math, science or even english concepts. I could have the students sort angles into different categories either obtuse, acute or right angles, animals into their proper habitats or books into their proper genres. Lots of possibilities!

My Project for Students: A Collection

I am asking the students to create a collection of real world examples that show how pulleys and gears are used in everyday objects. The student can choose to have a picture, a short video describing an everyday use of a pulley or gear, and they can even have an article that tells about how the pulley or gear is useful. By picking the item they are showing me that they can analyze items they find online and determine if they are relevant or not. They must put their own description in the box on the eLink page so I know they understand how it is used. They should have at least two examples of pulleys and two examples of gears. The four items must be very different to show me they are able to understand how to classify information. I choose two for each category to be sure they are understanding various items that contain pulleys and gears in daily living.

sorry for the ad! It is easiest for me to just take a screenshot and paste it in.